Ingrains & Directions
- 1/2 To 3/4 cup warm water
- 4 tab Sugar
- 1 pike Active dry yeast
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 c All-purpose flour
- 1/4 c Cold butter or margarine,
- cut into 4 pieces
- 1 its Salt
- 1/2 its Ground Cardamom Makes
- 1 loaf Crushed sugar cubes, pearl sugar and/or sliced almonds Combine
- 1/4 cup of the water,
- 1 tablespoon of the sugar and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand until bubbly
About 5 minutes
- 1 egg and stir until blended.
- Fit processor with steel blade.
- Measure flour, butter, remaining
- 3 tablespoons of the sugar, salt and cardamom into work bowl.
Process until mixed, about 15 seconds.
Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Process until blended, about 10seconds.
Turn on processor and very slowly drizzle just enough remaining water through feed tube into flour mixture so dough forms a ball that cleans sides of the bowl.
Process until ball turns around bowl about 25 times.
Turn off processor and let dough stand 1 to 2 minutes.
Turn on processor and gradually drizzle in enough remaining water to make dough soft, smooth and satiny but not sticky.
Process until dough turns around bowl about 15 times.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place until coupled, about 1 hour.
Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Shape each part into 18-inch strand.
- Braid strands together and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Tuck ends under and pinch to seal.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let stand in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Heat oven to 375 F.
- Beat remaining egg with fork.
- Brush egg over braid.
- Sprinkle with sugar and/or almonds.
- Bake until loaf is evenly brown, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
- Food Processor Bread Book from the collection of Jim Vorheis Yields 1 Servings