Ingrains & Directions
- 6 – 1/2 oz.
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- broken or chopped in small chunks
- 10 Egg whites
- 1 pin Salt
- 3/4 c Sugar
- 8 Egg yolks
- 1 c Sifted flour
- 8 tab (1/4 lb.)
- UNSALTED butter, Melted
- 1/2 c Apricot jam, rubbed
- 1 its Vanilla Extract Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour two
- 9 inch round cake tins.
- In the top of a double boiler (or in a stainless steel bowl set on top of a pan of simmering water (NOT BOILING!!!)
- Heat chocolate until it melts, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Let cool to room temperature
- In a small mixing bowl,
- break up the egg yolks with a fork
- then beat in the chocolate
- melted butter and vanilla extract
In a separate bowl
- Beat egg whites
- pinch of salt until they foam
- then add the sugar, one Tables. at a time, continuing to beat until the white’s form stiff
- unwavering peaks.Mix about
- 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate-yolk mixture
- then reverse the process and pour the chocolate over the remaining egg whites.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top.
- Fold the whites and chocolate mixture together until no trace of the whites remains.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins
- dividing it evenly between them.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the layers are puffed and dry and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Remove tins from oven; let sit for a few minutes then turn out onto cake rack.
- Let cool thoroughly while preparing the glaze.
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate,
- broken or chopped
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar in small heavy saucepan
- combine the chocolate
- sugar and corn syrup
Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon
Cook over low heat until the chocolate and sugar are melted, then raise the heat to medium and cook without stirring for about 5 minutes,
or until little of the mixture dropped into a glass of cold water forms a softball.
In a small mixing bowl beat the egg lightly
- Then stir in 3 Tables. of the chocolate mixture into it.
- Pour this into the remaining chocolate in the saucepan and stir it briskly.
- Cook over low heat
- stirring constantly
- for 3 or 4 minutes
- or until the glaze coats the spoon heavily.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the vanilla.
- Cool glaze to room temperature.
- Spread one completely cooled layer of the cake with the apricot jam
- place the other layer on top.
- Set the rack over a cookie sheet (to catch drips)
- holding the saucepan about 2 inches away from the cake
- pour the glaze over it evenly
- Smooth the glaze with metal spatula.
- Let the cake stand until the glaze stops dripping
- using two metal spatulas
- transfer it to a plate and refrigerate it for 3 hours to harden the glaze
- Remove it from the fridge 1/2 before serving.